Mikepier

Default basement ceiling sheet rock over gas/water lines

ameijers wrote:

No, it is so if it starts leaking, it won't build up in a dead space, hit
the appropriate vapor pressure range, and blow you up when you flip on a
light or shuffle your feet on the carpeted stairs. Gas pipes are one of the
few things in your house that can kill you silently- that is why they add
the stink. Keeping the pipes exposed mainly makes it much easier to track
down leaks.

Agree that keeping pipes exposed is better, but you have gas pipes
enclosed in walls all over the house, such as in the kitchen wall for
your stove, or perhaps a fireplace, or a wall furnace. I admit I do
not know what local codes are, but my point is you can't avoid burying
it. Inevitabely there is going to be some point in which you have to
bury it.