Ken Sterling

Default shop music?

In article , Grant Erwin says...

Just got back from the dentist. Background music everywhere. Those guys do
precision work and they have to concentrate. Just another data point.

I do ultrasonic wire bonding under a microscope, with 0.001 inch diameter
wire, onto pads that are maybe 100 microns square. I *always* have
music playing when I'm doing this.

I think it's a right brain/left brain thing. You need to occupy the
part of the brain you're not using when the other side is busy.
Music does that IMO.

Jim

--
================================================= =
please reply to:

I listen to CW in the shop, not too loud, but don't "hear" much of
it as I kinda tune it out when I'm working on something. But, a
few years back, when my youngest (at the time, he was about
18 years old, or so) would be out in the shop working on his
truck, he would change the radio station to "his" kind of music (ya
know, the rock crap) and do it without telling me. I'd be working on
something, and soon would realize that I was actually clenching
my jaws and things would start "not going right"..... *finally* I
would realize it was the damn music that was being played - although
I wasn't actually *listening* to it - my head was picking it up. When
I changed the station back to where it belonged (and claimed
hands-off), I would start to settle down again. Strange, but true.
Ken.