carl mciver

Default shop music?

"jim rozen" wrote in message
| In article , Grant Erwin says...
|
| Just got back from the dentist. Background music everywhere. Those guys
do
| precision work and they have to concentrate. Just another data point.
|
| I do ultrasonic wire bonding under a microscope, with 0.001 inch diameter
| wire, onto pads that are maybe 100 microns square. I *always* have
| music playing when I'm doing this.
|
| I think it's a right brain/left brain thing. You need to occupy the
| part of the brain you're not using when the other side is busy.
| Music does that IMO.
|
| Jim

I prefer music that I don't mind missing if I get so focused on my work
I miss a good song. A number of times all I'd remember was my walkman
flipping over, so I switched over to something else mellow, like Enya or
something. I'm no New Age Music dweeb, but there's a time for everything at
one time or another, and that's usually when Metallica won't do for me like
the high concentration tasks.

When doing tasks that don't require a lot of concentration, whatever I
like best is great.