Default Compact Fluorescent light bulbs?

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message
. ..

"BE" wrote in message
Howdy, anyone here have any experience with Compact Fluorescent light
bulbs? My wife just had an Oprah moment and is singing their praises.
http://www.servicelighting.com/catalog_product_list.cfm?cat_num=020203&link_c=lig ht-bulbs-fluorescents
I'm sure that there is an energy saving, not sure about the type of
light - if its annoying to anyone etc.

Three years ago we changed about 40 bulbs throughout the house with
compact fluorescents, and only one has burnt out. The lights are
instant-on, do not flicker, are a pleasing yellow-white light, and take
less than 1/4 the juice to run, vs incandescents, so payout at two dollars
a whack (common on-sale price) is impressively short.. You get the drift
. . . .we've become total fans.
Please be aware on the website you post, the prices shown at service
lighting are outrageous. We pay about 2 bucks a bulb or less, when you get
six packs, say, at Home Depot. Our local ACE hardware sells the same
models for 6-8 bucks per bulb. Don't get it.
Also, be aware that the "covered" bulbs have less light output, and heat
up more. We always get the exposed spiral shaped compacts - the covered
ones only for exterior exposed areas.

There is one other thing to be aware of. Equivalent CF bulbs are quite a
bit longer than their incandescent equivalents. This makes them impractical
for wall sconces, because the tip of the bulp pokes out through the top (or
bottom) of the sconces. Other than that, they work well.

Call your electric company. The last time our power company had a sale on
them, they cost a dollar apiece, and if you bought ten of a given wattage
they tossed in two extras. I haven't tried any outside yet, but I'll give
it a shot the next time a bulb goes. I did try one in a motion light once,
and it flickered like a candle and never acheived full brightness.