John Grabowski

Default Using Splicers and Tap Connectors with Aluminum Wiring instead of Twist On Wire Nuts?

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
The ones I'd use aren't too large, about 1.5 inches cubed for the tap
connectors and I'm hoping the dimensions for the splicer is listed in
cm or otherwise those things are way way bigger than I expected.

As for the twist on wire nuts, have a read he

http://www.inspect-ny.com/aluminum.htm

Apparently they don't really improve the safety aspect of aluminum
wiring much. About half way down the page you'll find lots of info
about the Ideal 65 connectors that are approved for aluminum wiring.
They do offer a solution for using a different wire nut which I might
go with ... but I'm still debeating.

Thanks,
Harry

I would do a little more research Harry. That site was created by a home
inspector. My experience with home inspectors leaves me with little
confidence in their qualifications. They seem to read articles and
publications and use the short sighted information for their own advantage.
I read on this particular site about lightning protection. His
recommendation is that you only use a Master Label certified contractor by
UL Laboratories to install lightning protection. The last time I checked
there were only 99 Master Label Certified companies in the United States and
some of them were only manufacturers and not installers.

Something to consider when making a copper to aluminum connection is the
load. Aluminum expands and contracts more than copper depending on how warm
it gets. That movement is what causes the terminations and splices to
become loose and consequently generate more heat which leads to greater
expansion and contraction and even more heat. Since aluminum has a lower
melting point than copper, the aluminum connection may eventually melt.
Instead of trying to redo each and every connection, it might be in your
long term best interest to gradually add new circuits to relieve or replace
the existing loads on the aluminum wiring. Some rooms such as the kitchen
usually have greater loads than a bedroom. It all depends on your usage.
If you have an outlet that you plug an air conditioner or an electric heater
in, then I would say that is a good candidate for an upgrade. You might
want to start by mapping your circuits.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv