Lew Hodgett

Default Is a shaper worth having?

Toller writes:

My router table is a POS, and I have been planning a new one for some
time now. While I love my Bosch 1617, I was going to buy a new 15a
router for the new table.

I just saw an ad for an old 1hp shaper. I haven't seen it yet, but
they claim it is in good shape, takes all router bits, has a 1hp
motor, and weighs 160 pounds.
I am thinking it might make a good substitute for the new
router/router table. It will certainly be cheaper. But I have never
even used a shaper, so I would appreciate some advice.

It's like comparing oranges and apples.

Both are fruits, but that is about it.

Shapers are notorious for causing injury, they can be very nasty.

My guess is that it is mostly operator error, but that is little
consolation if you lose a finger.

OTOH, if you have a production operation and need to make a lot of
custom moldings, it is the piece of equipment for the job.

Just give it a lot of respect.

If you use router bits larger than 1" dia, then you must start slowing
down the router RPM below 25,000.

Most router bits specify their top operating RPM.

Time for something like a Porter Cable 7538 multi speed mounted in a table.

The flexibility of a good table mounted router is tough to beat.

I spent my money building the NYW router table and dropping in a 7538.

The whole thing was less than $500.

I consider it money well spent.

YMMV.

Lew