Toller

Default Is a shaper worth having?

That's about the right size/weight for the Delta light-duty shaper which
was supplied w/ either 3/4 or 1 hp motor. It isn't in production any
longer but Grizzly at least is still making a knock-off which you can
see at
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G0510Z

I bought it $140. It looks exactly like the Grizzly. The motor is 14a, but
is actually bigger than the 18a motor on my TS. I wonder what that's about.

Most small shapers to have router bit collets, but a shaper is not a
router and shouldn't be confused w/ one. I particular, the spindle
speed for a shaper is roughly 10k rpm max, whereas a router is roughly
20-25k. For large diameter bits, this difference is as critical, but
for smaller diameter bits which may also only be two flute as opposed to
three, the cuts/sec will be 10/20*2/3 = 1/3 of what it would be on a
router. Add to this the smaller diameter and the tip speed is also much
less.

In summary, they're two different machines. Typically the shaper table
will be much more solid as compared to the run-of-the-mill router table
and the fence will probably be better than most of them except for some
of the very pricey ones.

I will hold onto my old router table, with the 1617, for small stuff.

Thanks.