Duane Bozarth

Default Is a shaper worth having?

Toller wrote:

I just saw an ad for an old 1hp shaper. I haven't seen it yet, but they
claim it is in good shape, takes all router bits, has a 1hp motor, and
weighs 160 pounds.

That's about the right size/weight for the Delta light-duty shaper which
was supplied w/ either 3/4 or 1 hp motor. It isn't in production any
longer but Grizzly at least is still making a knock-off which you can
see at
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G0510Z

I would caution strongly against the "table-top" router/shaper which may
be what they're talking about--it isn't a very good machine--I was most
disappointed w/ it after I got it as a second small shaper in order to
allow me to leave a small setup in place on it for the cope cut on full
length tenons.

It's still in production -- rather than take the time for loading the
Delta site as well, they Grizzly knock-off of it is at
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G8693

I am thinking it might make a good substitute for the new router/router
table. It will certainly be cheaper. But I have never even used a shaper,
so I would appreciate some advice.

Do they take router bits and work well with them?

Most small shapers to have router bit collets, but a shaper is not a
router and shouldn't be confused w/ one. I particular, the spindle
speed for a shaper is roughly 10k rpm max, whereas a router is roughly
20-25k. For large diameter bits, this difference is as critical, but
for smaller diameter bits which may also only be two flute as opposed to
three, the cuts/sec will be 10/20*2/3 = 1/3 of what it would be on a
router. Add to this the smaller diameter and the tip speed is also much
less.

OTOH, w/ full-size shaper cutters, there are three wings and the
diameter is 2" or greater and the tip speed is much greater.

The 1hp motor sounds weaker than my 2hp 1617, but I suspect they can't be
compared like that. How will a 1hp shaper perform compared to a router?

1hp shaper for a 1/2" spindle will be plenty assuming it's a real rating
(which the Delta is, of course).
I wouldn't be w/o a shaper for what I do, but I make a lot of windows,
doors, mostly architectural so am dealing w/ 1-1/8" or 1-3/4" stock.
For small cabinet work only, the router would probably be sufficient.

In summary, they're two different machines. Typically the shaper table
will be much more solid as compared to the run-of-the-mill router table
and the fence will probably be better than most of them except for some
of the very pricey ones.

HTH...