brassbend

Default colored solder?

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:26:16 GMT, "brassbend"
wrote:

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"brassbend" wrote: (clip) I know silver solder will do the job and

looks
sorta brassy when done but there is too much chance of melting the

pipe.
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are silver solders that melt at substantially lower

temperatures
than brass, so you should be able to do the job without blowing a

hole.
If you are inexperienced at this, get some brass sheet of similar

weight
and practice.

Or, if the piece is of high value and you're really worried about

messing
it
up, take it to a professional. They'll have the right tools and the

skill
do the job (and they should have insurance to cover your loss if they

screw
it up). Ask for references.

- Michael

I AM the professional : ) I have the right tools and the skill : ) I
have also consulted with the highest pros in the instrument repair

business
and got a little information. I am taking it here in hopes that someone
not in brass repair would know something we don't.

LB

I thought I recalled that you were a pro.

One possibility: use a tin-silver solder (Harris Staybrite, about 400
degrees) and then brush-plate the repair with brass. You can get
the brush plating stuff from
www.caswellplating.com

There are two kinds of Staybrite solder; the Staybrite 8 (hard to
find) has a plastic range so it'll "build" better -- might be better
for filling holes.

I had wondered if solder would plate. Thanks for the info. At this point I
am trying to make a solder out of powdered brass. I haven't got it right
yet, the powder is indeed melting to the tube but each grain of powder IS
NOT melting to its' neighbor. The repair looks jagged.
LLB