redhatnooblet

Default Is my house at danger?

Hey,
I would call an engineer immediately to figure out what is going on.
These kinds of problems are very serious and without proper repair will
make it very difficult to sell your house in the future. I would also
contact the original contractor who built this house( if possible) to
see if they will stand behind their work. If some piers have collapsed
under your house it could indicate serious water problems under the
house. When piers collapse, walls crack and undue strain is then placed
on other portions of the house. This could have a cascading effect. It
is important that you move on this quickly.

Kim wrote:
Hi, All,

Last Feb., I bought a 2-story house with crawl space. The house is
about 12 years old. Recently I have discovered signs of foundation
problem (settling?) that worry me a lot.
1. The floors at the family room and master bedroom(2nd floor) begin
tilting. I did not notice this when we moved in.
2. Cracking sounds from the wall with chimney. At night, especially
during earling morning hours, I can hear cracking sounds from the wall.
Recently, the temperature drops some, but not below zero yet. The
lowest temperature is around 36 to 40 degree.
3. some cracks at the corner of walls inside the house. Most of the
cracks at the corner of walls are hairy, but 1 or 2 are bigger than
that.
4. A crack (1/5 inch wide, several feet long) at my back yard.

We just moved in this house for several months. The inspection report
said everything was fine. Should I call a construction engineer to have
an inspection? What's your idea?

Thanks!