Phil Scott

Default Using Splicers and Tap Connectors with Aluminum Wiring instead of Twist On Wire Nuts?

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been researching how to make my aluminum wired house
safer without
actually rewiring it. I've posted several question before
to do with
other ideas, however, I recently stumbled accross these
products:

http://ebusiness.ilsco.com/webapp/wc...categoryId=210

and

http://ebusiness.ilsco.com/webapp/wc...categoryId=167

These are splicers designed for aluminum to copper
connections and tap
connectors, which I'm assuming are bascially a splicer but
made for
more than two wires. They come insulated which I've never
seen before.

I've read previous recommendations about split bolt
connectors and
splicers. These seem to be the connector choice for larger
aluminum
wiring and has never really caused problems on those larger
wires.
Basically I'm trying to stay away from using any twist on
wire nuts on
any connection that has an aluminum wire in it ...

I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this sort of things or
if there's
any information to back up my idea, etc.

Thanks,
Harry

Those are good, for bullet proofing you can use an anti
oxidizing grease over the wire, and inside the fittings...a
thin coat, not globbed on.

In marine environment it would be dicier. Id think twice and
use a real tight rubber tape wrap over the splice...then a
tight electrical tape wrap over that.

the other aspect is the current running through the
splice...say for instance you have a splice of #12 awg
(typical for 20 amp circuits, but should not be constant
amperage over 15 amps approx).... but your splice is passing
20 amps constantly... that is a problem..it will run warm or
even hot depending on how much other wire is in the splice
box, location and other factors.

that splice is going to be a lot more difficult to make work.
(its also illegal, but it happens)

The bigger your wire is in relation to its rated load, the
more relable the entire system is going to be, particularly at
the splices you are mentioning.

Phil Scott