Doug Miller

Default Is a shaper worth having?

In article . net, "Wilson" wrote:
I have a SECO 3 HP shaper and can hardly imagine needing more power. I have
had to slow it down for some interlocked grain hickory crossgrain cuts, but
generally it swings a 5" panel raiser in a full cut effortlessly. If you
want to do doors, I'd grab it immediately!

Did you see where he said it's a 1 HP motor?

160 lb is a lot. Is there a stand?

160# is hardly anything for a shaper.

[snip]
A handheld router excels on warped, ringed, or twisted boards.

I see you're still struggling with the concept of proper stock selection and
preparation... :-)

Wilson
"David" wrote in message
Toller wrote:

My router table is a POS, and I have been planning a new one for some
time now. While I love my Bosch 1617, I was going to buy a new 15a
router for the new table.

I just saw an ad for an old 1hp shaper. I haven't seen it yet, but they
claim it is in good shape, takes all router bits, has a 1hp motor, and
weighs 160 pounds.
I am thinking it might make a good substitute for the new router/router
table. It will certainly be cheaper. But I have never even used a
shaper, so I would appreciate some advice.

Do they take router bits and work well with them?
The 1hp motor sounds weaker than my 2hp 1617, but I suspect they can't be
compared like that. How will a 1hp shaper perform compared to a router?
Can you just compare amps, or do they not compare since the motor types
are different?

modern shapers come with 5 HP motors...

Dave

--