RonB

Default Is a shaper worth having?

Is a shaper worth having? Yes, but you might not want to jump into the1HP
shaper or a shaper at all until you give the router table capability a bit
more attention.

The gap between router table capablity and shaper capability has narrowed
quite a bit during recent years and there is grey zone in the middle of
these capabilities that both can handle well. .

I, like you, have an old POS aluminum top router table that spends most of
its time hanging on the wall. I recently decided to build a descent router
table between the extended tracks on my cabinet saw. I hope this is going
to be a stopgap solution until I have more space; so I am spending most of
my time building a good fence with DC and adjustment capabilities. My Bosch
will reside there first, but I expect to eventually buy a bigger router
which, in a sense, narrows that capability gap.

Unless you do a lot of doors, large trim or other projects requiring you to
mill larger stock or larger quantites, you might want to consider souping up
your router table capability. I have found that building router and drill
press tables are kind of fun and I end up with what I want.

I don't think you are stepping up with a 1HP shaper (most today are in the
2-5hp range). I don't know the price but I'll bet similar bucks will build
a nice router setup.

RonB