Lobster

Default Adding restrictor to existing uPVC window

"Steve" wrote in message ...

Never had one of those dual opening windows so these ideas may be shots in
the dark.
Could a childs safety lock that are fitted to kitchen cupboards be a basis
for an idea ( the kind when you open the doorway a little then depress them
to open fully )
If it was a 'normal' upvc window then I would say glue a little plastic
block in the track the hinge slides in or you could use a piece of soft
metal i.e. aluminium that had been sawn through a little so that it
restricted the opening in normal use but in an emergency the window could be
pushed out fully with a little force ( idea behind this were those glass
firedoor bolts) or you could fit a set of restrictor hinges from toolstation
etc
Talking of firedoors what about those cable tie type things they use on the
doors that break at a certain force but keeps the doors together if the
levers are operated by accident

Thanks a lot Steve, some useful thoughts there.

I visited a window supplier today in fact, and as I suspected, they
have a neat gizmo to attach to a normal window, but it would be fouled
by the tilt'n turn mechanism. I was mulling it over with the bloke
though, and he came up with the idea of a standard front-door security
chain, which sounds just the job. Now waiting to hear back from
BCO-lady to see if she will give it the seal of approval...!

David