Rich Greenberg

Default Furnace pilot flame adjust

In article t,
RichK wrote:
Hi All,

My furnace is about 30 years old Still works fine and does the job. I know
it's not as efficient as new models, but here in Midwest it's adequate.

Just had a good look at the pilot and it seems to be a much bigger flame
than say the water heater pilot. In fact the pilot is more like a plumbers
torch. It's wasting a lot of gas.

Are the pilots adjustable in any way? I don't want to tear into it, if it's
a lost cause.

Rich,
Listen to Turtle, he knows of what he speaks.

If you still want to try, find the gas valve (has the Off-Pilot-On knob).
Somewhere on it (often on the same surface as the knob) will be a screw
head that adjusts the pilot flame. Often it will have a cover which
pops off. Adjust it a bit at a time watching the flame. If it seems to
have no effect, return it to its original setting and look for another.