RichK

Default Furnace pilot flame adjust

Hi All,

My furnace is about 30 years old Still works fine and does the job. I know
it's not as efficient as new models, but here in Midwest it's adequate.

Just had a good look at the pilot and it seems to be a much bigger flame
than say the water heater pilot. In fact the pilot is more like a plumbers
torch. It's wasting a lot of gas.

Are the pilots adjustable in any way? I don't want to tear into it, if it's
a lost cause.

Rich

TURTLE

"RichK" wrote in message
k.net...
Hi All,

My furnace is about 30 years old Still works fine and does the job. I know
it's not as efficient as new models, but here in Midwest it's adequate.

Just had a good look at the pilot and it seems to be a much bigger flame
than say the water heater pilot. In fact the pilot is more like a plumbers
torch. It's wasting a lot of gas.

Are the pilots adjustable in any way? I don't want to tear into it, if it's
a lost cause.

Rich

This is Turtle.

This can be done but you would have to watch what you was doing and follow what
it should look like when tring to lower it. now here is something to look for
first and it could be the cause of the long pilot lite.

Dirty Jets which the blue flame will have somewhere in it a white or yellowish
color.

If you would like to e-masil about it here or on line here. what ever but it is
not a hard thing to do.

TURTLE

Rich Greenberg

In article t,
RichK wrote:
Hi All,

My furnace is about 30 years old Still works fine and does the job. I know
it's not as efficient as new models, but here in Midwest it's adequate.

Just had a good look at the pilot and it seems to be a much bigger flame
than say the water heater pilot. In fact the pilot is more like a plumbers
torch. It's wasting a lot of gas.

Are the pilots adjustable in any way? I don't want to tear into it, if it's
a lost cause.

Rich,
Listen to Turtle, he knows of what he speaks.

If you still want to try, find the gas valve (has the Off-Pilot-On knob).
Somewhere on it (often on the same surface as the knob) will be a screw
head that adjusts the pilot flame. Often it will have a cover which
pops off. Adjust it a bit at a time watching the flame. If it seems to
have no effect, return it to its original setting and look for another.

RichK

Thanks RichG,

"Rich Greenberg" wrote in message

Listen to Turtle, he knows of what he speaks.

I always do :-)

If you still want to try, find the gas valve (has the Off-Pilot-On knob).
Somewhere on it (often on the same surface as the knob) will be a screw
head that adjusts the pilot flame. Often it will have a cover which
pops off. Adjust it a bit at a time watching the flame. If it seems to
have no effect, return it to its original setting and look for another.

This is an original Hoenywell valve. It has a big head screw on the top
(back) with Adj next to it. This must be it. Almost impossible to turn it,
unless I use 90deg screwdriver.

Puzzles me that someone set that pilot, on what it seems to absolute max
setting. In the heating season, all the pilot heat stays "in the family",
but on warmer days it's wasting an expenisve fuel.

Regards,

RichK

Unfortunately, I'll bet that the big pilot contributes nothing in
winter- in fact does you financial harm. By maintaining reduced draft
which sucks lots of heated indoor air up and out when main burner is
off. Unless you have an isolated system which draws air from outdoors
only.

Your gas company should be able to send someone to adjust the flame
(and avoid damage to valve.)

HTH,

mark and jess

Make sure you are not turning the Nat. Gas-L/P set screw used when/if
converted to L/P. There is a spring under the set screw and if you mess
with it without knowing what you've done you might get a bigger bill than
you want.

Tom Lachance

RichK wrote:
Hi All,

My furnace is about 30 years old Still works fine and does the job. I know
it's not as efficient as new models, but here in Midwest it's adequate.

Just had a good look at the pilot and it seems to be a much bigger flame
than say the water heater pilot. In fact the pilot is more like a plumbers
torch. It's wasting a lot of gas.

Are the pilots adjustable in any way? I don't want to tear into it, if it's
a lost cause.

Rich

Is there any yellow on the tip? A small amount is OK. If it's larger
then it probably has been reamed out over the years when cleaned.
RichK

RichK

Default Furnace pilot flame adjust - done

"RichK" wrote in message

Are the pilots adjustable in any way? I don't want to tear into it, if

it's
a lost cause.

To close this thread - I did adjust the pilot. Adj screw was under a bigger
cap screws, in the back of the valve. The adj screw was all the way out
counter-clockwise, which allows max gas flow to the pilot. Had to make good
5-10 turns clockwise, before the pilot flame started to get smaller. Set it
such that one of the jets just covered the thermocouple. It all well now.

This frunace may have been burning gas needlesly for 30 years - what a
waste. None of the repairmen that made maintenance calls ever noticed it?.
Perhaps too lazy to make this minor adjustment - why bother after all, when
the fee is the same.

Thanks to all who helped with the advice,

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Tom Lachance, Jes327 wrote:
I have the same issue. My pilot light adjustment screw loosens all the way
out and tightens all the way in (it seems) just fine, yet does not affect the
pilot light flame size at all! The pilot light on my propane furnace uses way
too much gas. It looks and sounds more like a torch!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ust-44925-.htm

My gas Furnace would not light automatic pilot light CuriousJay Home Repair 2 October 23rd 05 04:10 AM
Furnace flame sensor and possible fuel problem Bill Home Repair 13 February 22nd 05 12:24 AM
Noob question about pilot light on gas furnace NWM Home Repair 14 November 22nd 04 10:26 AM
Furnace Pilot ng_reader Home Repair 5 October 17th 04 02:18 AM
Adjust flame on gas fireplace? Lee Home Repair 2 October 16th 04 09:06 PM