Stormin Mormon

Default Kero versus propane versus natural gas for heat

I thought this was fascinating. Now, lets see if we can figure out if
propane is cheaper at 2.00 for a 16 ounce (one pound) bottle. Versus 3.00 or
so a galon for kerosene.

I'm on "therm billing" and a quick call revealed that a therm is 100,000
BTU. So, looking at a typical bill, it cost me $68 to get 13 therms
delivered. Or about $5.25 a therm.

In terms of propane in 16 ounce bottles, it would take about 5 bottles, or
about $10.00 produce a therm.

It would take about 3/4 galon of kerosene to produce a therm, which would be
about $2.00.

In refillable propane bottles (twenty pounders) I havn't priced them lately.
But with the other fellow's figures, $14 for 20 pounds is about .75 a pound.
Needing 5# propane per therm, would be about $3.75 per therm.

When the electric is out, and the furnace is dead, it's well worth ten bucks
a therm. And kerosene is cheaper, but I have to drive to the store to get
it.

Christopher A. Young