Dave Lyon

Default shop music?

"Ray Field" wrote in message
news:C_Z7f.56843$S4.16645@edtnps84...
I am from the old school where the shop was for work that required
concentration on the job at hand, still find music/radio distracting while
in the shop (now retired so nobody argues!). If I want music, the machines
are OFF and the bagpipes are up on my air - again nobody argues.
But out of interest, what has been the effect of music and radios in the
workplace? Any measurements, or is all the evidence anecdotal?
Ray

In the late 80's there was at least one study that suggested music made
people more productive, but I couldn't convince my boss of that.

Now, I listen to music at work from my computer. We have multiple computers
spread around the shop for programming, designing, and communication with
the machines. Whichever one is closest to me I tune into an internet
station. If work gets demanding, or frustrating, the music goes off.