ameijers

Default Door Lock

"Anupam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings !

Thank you very much guys ! So many good ideas.

I opened one of the knobs today. Nothing is written anywhere. It's a
golden color knob, standard size (I dont know if the ones bigger than
this are called standard size knobs)

But the strange thing is : the screws on the knob of one door is
towards my side (inside the room) while for the other one they are
outside...will it create a problem for putting the new knobs with both
locks inside ?

And yes, I am looking for lock for the door (or maybe for door knob as
long as the person from outside cannot turn it)

Can you please suggest me a good web site where I can buy these new
knobs with locks, at a good price. I'll be thankful !

Anupam

If these are just passage latches, they can fit in the door either way. The
direction the screws face probably depends on which way was easier to
install, usually done with the door opening toward you, so the
non-screwdriver hand can reach around and wiggle things so they line up as
you assemble it all. The trim carpenter will usually only do things the hard
way if the screw side needs to face the other way to to make the right color
or the locking button end up on the correct side.
Some things aren't worth ordering on-line, especially if you are not sure
what you are ordering. Post a trusted friend to guard your room for an hour,
take the old doorknob and striker completely out of the door, and take it
all down to your nearest home center or full-line lumberyard. Tell them you
need a privacy latch or keyed lockset that is a exact match size-wise to
replace what you have. Assuming their hardware guy knows which end is up, it
should take him about five minutes to come up with the right item. (It takes
longer now the knobs are in blister packs.) If you need keys on both doors,
make sure the packages have the same key number on them, so the keys are the
same. If this is a rental (sounds like it), keep the old locksets so you can
reinstall them when you move out.

aem sends...