Anupam

Default Door Lock

Hi

I am sorry if this is not exactly relevant to this group, but I would
be really thankful if I could an info about this :

I have an existing door knob (infact 2) in my room and I need a lock
for them..I dont want to drill or do anything with the door or with the
walls. Are there any products in the market which would fit on the door
knob as it is, for locking it ?

I'll be thankful for your reply.

Regards
Anupam

P.S If you think this message is more relevant to some other group from
where I can get more information, can you please recommend me one ?
Thanks !

You may be able to remove the existing doorknobs and put in ones that
have a keylock thing.

Roger Shoaf

Most probably, look at the kocks you have now and tell us what it says on
the edge of the latch plate, if anything.

Also you can remove the lock and look at the hole in the door. Standard
prep for most locks is 2 1/8" diameter hole through the door and a 1" or
7/8" diameter hole on the edge.

If that is the diameter of your hole, most any lock on the shelf will work
with no modifications. If you have something different, give us a
description of what you have and perhaps we can give you a specific
recomendation.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

"Anupam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I am sorry if this is not exactly relevant to this group, but I would
be really thankful if I could an info about this :

I have an existing door knob (infact 2) in my room and I need a lock
for them..I dont want to drill or do anything with the door or with the
walls. Are there any products in the market which would fit on the door
knob as it is, for locking it ?

I'll be thankful for your reply.

Regards
Anupam

P.S If you think this message is more relevant to some other group from
where I can get more information, can you please recommend me one ?
Thanks !

DanG

As Roger already told you, you will need a different lockset.
What you have now is called a passage lockset. It does not lock
from either direction. Usually the strike mechanism in the edge
of the door will have a brand name (schlage, kwiikset, or other)
You should be able to buy the same brand, but they are all pretty
standard. If you get the same brand you can probably leave the
existing strike in the door and change out the handles. Your
choices are a privacy set used on bathrooms, it can be locked on
the inside and usually has some type of hole to release the lock
on the outside. The other choice is a keyed lockset like your
front door.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Anupam" wrote in message
[...]

Goedjn

On 25 Oct 2005 18:26:04 -0700, "Anupam" wrote:

Hi

I am sorry if this is not exactly relevant to this group, but I would
be really thankful if I could an info about this :

I have an existing door knob (infact 2) in my room and I need a lock
for them..I dont want to drill or do anything with the door or with the
walls. Are there any products in the market which would fit on the door
knob as it is, for locking it ?

I'll be thankful for your reply.

Regards
Anupam

P.S If you think this message is more relevant to some other group from
where I can get more information, can you please recommend me one ?
Thanks !

Are you trying to lock the doornob, or the door?
Do you need to be able to work it from both sides, or just from
the inside? (Or just from the outside?)
Who does it need to be proof against?

Stormin Mormon

I saw something a long time ago. Clamshell kind of thing, that goes over a
door knob. Had a double bitted Chicago key to unlock the clamshell.

Never actually saw one in person, so I don't know if they still exist.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"Anupam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I am sorry if this is not exactly relevant to this group, but I would
be really thankful if I could an info about this :

I have an existing door knob (infact 2) in my room and I need a lock
for them..I dont want to drill or do anything with the door or with the
walls. Are there any products in the market which would fit on the door
knob as it is, for locking it ?

I'll be thankful for your reply.

Regards
Anupam

P.S If you think this message is more relevant to some other group from
where I can get more information, can you please recommend me one ?
Thanks !

Roger Shoaf

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I saw something a long time ago. Clamshell kind of thing, that goes over a
door knob. Had a double bitted Chicago key to unlock the clamshell.

Never actually saw one in person, so I don't know if they still exist.

Yes they still exist, but it would probably be cheaper and more astheticly
pleasing to replace the knobset.

They are manufactured my Major Manufacturing and available in knob and lever
styles. These are also good to restrict access to hosebibs.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Anupam

Greetings !

Thank you very much guys ! So many good ideas.

I opened one of the knobs today. Nothing is written anywhere. It's a
golden color knob, standard size (I dont know if the ones bigger than
this are called standard size knobs)

But the strange thing is : the screws on the knob of one door is
towards my side (inside the room) while for the other one they are
outside...will it create a problem for putting the new knobs with both
locks inside ?

And yes, I am looking for lock for the door (or maybe for door knob as
long as the person from outside cannot turn it)

Can you please suggest me a good web site where I can buy these new
knobs with locks, at a good price. I'll be thankful !

Anupam

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I saw something a long time ago. Clamshell kind of thing, that goes over a
door knob. Had a double bitted Chicago key to unlock the clamshell.

Never actually saw one in person, so I don't know if they still exist.

Yes they still exist, but it would probably be cheaper and more astheticly
pleasing to replace the knobset.

They are manufactured my Major Manufacturing and available in knob and lever
styles. These are also good to restrict access to hosebibs.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

ameijers

"Anupam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings !

Thank you very much guys ! So many good ideas.

I opened one of the knobs today. Nothing is written anywhere. It's a
golden color knob, standard size (I dont know if the ones bigger than
this are called standard size knobs)

But the strange thing is : the screws on the knob of one door is
towards my side (inside the room) while for the other one they are
outside...will it create a problem for putting the new knobs with both
locks inside ?

And yes, I am looking for lock for the door (or maybe for door knob as
long as the person from outside cannot turn it)

Can you please suggest me a good web site where I can buy these new
knobs with locks, at a good price. I'll be thankful !

Anupam

If these are just passage latches, they can fit in the door either way. The
direction the screws face probably depends on which way was easier to
install, usually done with the door opening toward you, so the
non-screwdriver hand can reach around and wiggle things so they line up as
you assemble it all. The trim carpenter will usually only do things the hard
way if the screw side needs to face the other way to to make the right color
or the locking button end up on the correct side.
Some things aren't worth ordering on-line, especially if you are not sure
what you are ordering. Post a trusted friend to guard your room for an hour,
take the old doorknob and striker completely out of the door, and take it
all down to your nearest home center or full-line lumberyard. Tell them you
need a privacy latch or keyed lockset that is a exact match size-wise to
replace what you have. Assuming their hardware guy knows which end is up, it
should take him about five minutes to come up with the right item. (It takes
longer now the knobs are in blister packs.) If you need keys on both doors,
make sure the packages have the same key number on them, so the keys are the
same. If this is a rental (sounds like it), keep the old locksets so you can
reinstall them when you move out.

aem sends...

Don Phillipson

"Anupam" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have an existing door knob (infact 2) in my room and I need a lock
for them..I dont want to drill or do anything with the door or with the
walls. Are there any products in the market which would fit on the door
knob as it is, for locking it ?

1. To lock from inside, screw a bolt onto the door.
2. To lock from outside, use a hasp secured by a padlock.

Both require screws into both door and door post. It seems
simpler to replace the doorknob with a lockset, if you can
find one that fits the existing hole through the door. Look for
the same brand (if you can see a brand name) or remove the
existing latch mechanism and take it to a locksmith's shop.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs