Dave Baker

Default best starting point to build a homebrew centrifuge?

Tom Miller wrote in message

What on earth do you want a centrifuge for
w.r.t. homebrewing?
I've done it for years without ever seeing the
need, and we have two
boutique breweries around, one in the valley and
one in the village and
neither of them ever owned a centrifuge (nor do
the large commercial
German breweries I've visited)?!?

We had two, 100 Hp centrifuges at a brewery that
I worked at In Sydney. We used them to spin out
most of the yeast before the beer was filtered. It
save a significant amount of money in diatomaceous
earth filter powder as well as saving on the
disposal costs of used filter medium..
They frightened hell out of me. The rotor weighed
about 100 Kg and spun at 300 rpm. . They used an
eddy current drive to get it up to speed. It took
over an hour to get to operating speed from cold
start.

I did a "back of an envelope' calculation with
regard to the stored energy in one of these
things,and avoided them like the plague ever
since.

Tom Miller

That's a lot less energy than an average IC engine spinning at 6k rpm so I'm
not sure what you are so frightened about.
--
Dave Baker