Christopher Tidy

Default best starting point to build a homebrew centrifuge?

Keep YerSpam wrote:
wrote:

i have in mind a project which would require some medium amount of
centrifuging batches of materials. Industrial centrifuges are too
expensive.

I thought to start with a washing machine, it's a decent volume of spun
space, and they are relatively cheap.

Anything even better? Willing to spend as long as
results/incremental-dollars margin is positive.

You might be surprised how cheap a 'real' centrifuge can be had.
I bought a couple large ones at a Silicon Valley auction for $20 for the
pair. I sold them for more than that, but ebay has all kinds of them for
pretty cheap. About what you'd pay to setup a washing machine that
won'yt realy spin at a very good speed.
http://search.ebay.com/centrifuge

That's true. A friend of mine has picked up four for nothing from
science labs recently. I think 3 out of the 4 worked okay. They were
scary 10,000 rpm machines, too, but only had a fairly small capacity.

Chris