Ray Field

Default shop music?

I am from the old school where the shop was for work that required
concentration on the job at hand, still find music/radio distracting while
in the shop (now retired so nobody argues!). If I want music, the machines
are OFF and the bagpipes are up on my air - again nobody argues.
But out of interest, what has been the effect of music and radios in the
workplace? Any measurements, or is all the evidence anecdotal?
Ray
"brassbend" wrote in message
I am one of those "Classically trained musicians" and I have found many of
us can't listen to anything and work. We have no "background music"
switch
and drop everything else to concentrate on the music. Needless to say my
shop has no music.
LLB
(brass instrument repair)

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Play Wagner for metal pounding and Swanny River for filing ? :-)

I do that - and play DVD's and VCR tapes. So many of the movies are just
background and I monitor in the back of my mind when to stop and enjoy a

scene...

Listen to books and such. Often the second or third time provides me
with
a section I never heard before - can blank out outside data when busy.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Grant Erwin wrote:
I've been following this NG since about 1994 and haven't noticed this
coming up. I listen to music in my shop, like many guys. Can't stand
the
radio, so I make MP3 CDs with about 150 songs on each of 'em and play
them through a little Walkman-type player, into some Bose self-powered
speakers. Works great, but I need a better stand for the player. Anyone
designed one? Should protect it from chips and dust, but be very
accessible and very stable. - GWE

News==----

Newsgroups

=----