Set Square

Default Letterbox modification

Hamish wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify:

The front plate of the letterbox has 2 receptors which accept the
bolts. The thread inside one of these receptors has completely
disintegrated, taking part of its casing with it, so it can't be
rethreaded.

You could probably re-build it with epoxy resin. It doesn't have to be
wonderfully strong. Alternatively, drill and countersink from the front and
put long countersunk bolts all the way through. The boltheads will show, of
course, but you may find ones which match the letterbox fairly well. What is
the external finish?

The reason why I suspect I may have to refill the bolt holes is
because they are *very* close to the rectangular hole and I fear that
enlarging the rectangular hole may cause it to 'merge' with the bolt
holes.

So what! All the better if you get rid of the original bolt holes when
enlarging the rectangle. It will all be covered (on the outside, at any
rate) by the new letterbox, anyway.

A tale of woe, I know! Perhaps I will get myself onto an evening
course in order to learn how to do these things properly, but I need
to sort this letterbox out ASAP - it's a shambles at the moment.

I can't help feeling that you're turning a minor problem into a calamity!

--
Cheers,
Set Square