Joseph Meehan

Default Furnace - increase air intake.

wrote:
Recently I had a HVAC person check my furnace and as always they
suggest getting a new one in a few years. When he had explained how
the new furnace would be better, the main difference he had pointed
out was that the new furnace would have a bigger air inlet. I was
wondering if it would be wise or unwise to drill a few holes in the
furnace cover to increase the air fow to the burners (of course with
the furnace turn off and the cover removed). Would this make the mix
air rich and cause incomplete combustion creating CO2 gases or would
it burn better creating less emissions and save money.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Carl

No need. The air to the burners is not limited by the vents in the
cover. The limits are the adjustments and more is not better here, the
right amount is what counts and a limit on fresh air to the furnace. This
can occur if the furnace is closed off from the rest of the house or if the
house is very tightly constructed. In those cases you need to bring fresh
air in from the outside.

BTW COČ is normal and not harmful. It is CO that you need worry about.

If you are worried about CO and it is a good idea to worry about it at
least a little, then buy a good CO detector or two. I highly recommend
them.

http://3daysmovie.blogspot.com/
http://3daysnews.blogspot.com/

--