Default Furnace - increase air intake.

Recently I had a HVAC person check my furnace and as always they
suggest getting a new one in a few years. When he had explained how
the new furnace would be better, the main difference he had pointed out
was that the new furnace would have a bigger air inlet. I was
wondering if it would be wise or unwise to drill a few holes in the
furnace cover to increase the air fow to the burners (of course with
the furnace turn off and the cover removed). Would this make the mix
air rich and cause incomplete combustion creating CO2 gases or would it
burn better creating less emissions and save money.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Carl

http://3daysmovie.blogspot.com/
http://3daysnews.blogspot.com/

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
Recently I had a HVAC person check my furnace and as always they
suggest getting a new one in a few years. When he had explained how
the new furnace would be better, the main difference he had pointed out
was that the new furnace would have a bigger air inlet. I was
wondering if it would be wise or unwise to drill a few holes in the
furnace cover to increase the air fow to the burners (of course with
the furnace turn off and the cover removed). Would this make the mix
air rich and cause incomplete combustion creating CO2 gases or would it
burn better creating less emissions and save money.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Carl

There is one hell of a difference in combustion air and return air grill.
New standards for combustion air will apply to any new installed gas
appliances. Check the UPC online.

drilling holes in the cover,,,,,,,,,,,, REALLY BAD IDEA.

Thanks of the speedy reply. I was wondering what you would suggest
about bringing fresh air into the basement where my furnace is. Also
is there anyway to measure how much fresh air the furnace is getting.

Thanks

Carl

Mark

I have added a fresh air intake into the return ducts. When the
furnace is running it pulls some fresh air in from outside and heats it
and sends it to the house. This air ultimatly replaces the combustion
air and also slightly presurizes the house reducing drafts etc.

I like the fresh air feel you get when the furnace kicks on..

Mark

Mark wrote:
I have added a fresh air intake into the return ducts. When the
furnace is running it pulls some fresh air in from outside and heats it
and sends it to the house. This air ultimatly replaces the combustion
air and also slightly presurizes the house reducing drafts etc.

I like the fresh air feel you get when the furnace kicks on..

Mark

That's an awsome idea!

Thanks

Joseph Meehan

Mark wrote:
I have added a fresh air intake into the return ducts. When the
furnace is running it pulls some fresh air in from outside and heats
it and sends it to the house. This air ultimatly replaces the
combustion air and also slightly presurizes the house reducing drafts
etc.

I like the fresh air feel you get when the furnace kicks on..

Mark

Mine was installed that way. It works for me. It also has a shut off.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit