pyotr filipivich

Default Vice slip debriefing

Let the record show that Gunner Asch wrote back on
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:23:21 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:35:44 GMT, Bill Schwab
wrote:

I use a lot of plain yellow legal pad paper under things, in the shop.
mill vises, quick change tool holders (KDK) on the lathe, etc. Put a
piece of that paper under something you dont want to move..and it
wont, and you dont have to use a cheater pipe to tighten things up
anymore.

Interesting. What about water/acid/etc. content?

Bill

It doesnt seem to bother it much. Try it for yourself.
I rather suspect liquids soak in and swell it up a smidge, making it
hold even tighter. Its long been a practice to put a couple bits of
cardboard under forklift forks to keep Stuff from sliding on them.
Perhaps its the same princible?

Sounds interesting. I'm wondering about "production" where I have 500
six inch lengths of T extrusion to mill (two little parts each), and I
don't want to have them come out of the fixture.

I think I stick with making sure I get the vise tight. Two drinks
ought to do it, no?

tschus
pyotr

--