Ralph Mowery

Default Basic Home Electrical Question

Take a 240v motor. It has three wires; 2 hots and a neutral. A hot goes
a winding and then to the neutral. When it comes off the winding it is

not
a neutral, it is simply a hot that has gone through the winding.

This is hair splitting; we certainly agree that the wire, whatever it is
called, is potentially dangerous. But, I think it is still properly

called
a hot.

A normal 240 volt motor only has 2 'hot' wires. There is no neutral. Both
of the wires are 120 volts hot to ground in a normal home in the US. It may
(should) have a ground wire going to its frame.