Bill Schwab

Default Vice slip debriefing

Hello all,

Owner/operator and machine appear to be fine, but I had an incident this
evening, and am curious what (else) I should learn from it.

I must have taken too large of cut, though it didn't seem that way at
first; that will take some more thought.

The weak spot was the rotation axis of my vice; the clamps holding the
base of the vice to the table held. The unintended new position put the
vice in contact with the endmill. Here's where I get blurry: I
recognized the problem and started reaching for the power switch, but I
cannot recall whether the spindle stopped before I cut the power. There
was no damage to the endmill and only a small scratch on the vice. The
part was trashed, but that's no loss. Ironic given our posts just hours
ago!

With the power off and the spindle definitely not turning, I began
looking for gentle ways to get the vice away from the endmill. I
finally loosened the vice from the table and tapped it with a mallet.

After some draw filing on the vice, it appears to be fine. No circuit
breakers tripped. The mill runs properly.

The vice is aligned again. I had an awful time doing it, which I think
was because I didn't have the vice clamps tight enough, so my taps were
causing large translations. After fixing that, I did some test taps and
then did a pass just watching the ball of the DTI pass over the fixed
jaw of the vice, fixed a gross error and then started with the
indicator. Rather than try to spin the scale on the DTI, I moved the
table to offset the DTI and then finally to "zero" it when it was
aligned. Comments and better ideas are welcome.

Bill