Colbyt

Default Basic Home Electrical Question

wrote in message
oups.com...
Rich,

Not that I would do this (AND I RECOMMEND NO ONE ELSE DO THIS EITHER),
but does that mean that when replacing a switch or an outlet, that I
could turn the power back on and touch the NEUTRAL (white) wire and not
receive a shock?

Wardell

.panix.com/~richgr/ Asst Owner:Sibernet-L

On a properly wired system that is working properly you are able to touch
the bare/green wire or the white wire and not receive any shock. Only the
hot wire, usually black has any shock potential.

And please don't try this at home kiddies, as long as you aren't grounded
you can handle the hot wire with the juice on. Electricians do it all the
time while standing on a fiberglass ladder. You can get a nasty shock
changing an outlet live because the ground wire connect to the part of the
device you are holding. Please remember that even a 110V circuit can kill
you it the right situation.

And for the OP: I am not qualified to explain it to you but the term
alternating current refers to what happens before the electricity enters
your home. There are two generators working in a 60HZ cycle that feed juice
to the line. Somehow this permits more juice to flow farther at a lower
cost. That is an extremely simplified explanation. But it is about all I can
explain.

Colbyt