DanG

Default Desktop construction question

Make it as light or as heavy as you want. How about buying a
hollow core or solid core door? You could buy an oak door with
oak stiles or add your own edge banding. Commercial door are 1
3/4" residential doors are 1 3/8"

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Dave" wrote in message
The original plan calls for a solid oak top with 1 1/2" thick
edges.
However, to save money I was planning on using 3/4" oak plywood
and
breadboard the edges with 3/4" doubled up oak boards to stiffen
the edges
up. I guess my question is, is it satisfactory to do this or
should I go
ahead and bite the bullet and use the solid boards? The size of
the top is
going to be 32 to 36" wide and about 60 to 65" long. I was
concerned as to
how it would look when I applied the light stain and poly finish
to it. I
am building Norm's computer desk. Thanks for your suggestions.