mac davis

Default Using coloured LDD

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:01:26 -0700, "Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:50:21 -0700, "Leif Thorvaldson"
wrote:

Bravo for your experimenting. The color of the LDD solution does change
as
a result of drawing out lignins from the wood, also the bark if you are
turning natural edged bowls may well dye the formerly yellow/amber/orange
dark black or brown colour. I have not noticed any transfer of this to
the
various types of wood that I have processed through there. Those who
complain about the "mess," are just not handling it properly. Alcohol was
added to the mix also, earlier on and it was determined not to have any
additional beneficient results. I have never tried straight alcohol
baths.
Boiling??? And you talk about a mess and a fuss!!!*G*

Leif

hey Madge...
just to add to your data, I've been turning some very pretty buy very
crack
prone local ash, and wish that I hadn't put any of it into the LDD....

It's a bright white wood with a weird, almost green dark grain running
through
it... very nice contrast...

As I mentioned, the LDD has been turning black, all 6 of the rough-turned
ash
bowls that went in the LDD are now "grayscale"... the white is gray and
the dark
brown/green is black!
Finish turning and sanding makes them a lighter gray and a flat black...
original color and luster is gone... yuk!

mac

====Not sure what to tell you, mac. Some of my first turning wood was a
white ash, straight from the vw mill of a friend of mine. It went through
the LDD just fine. I have had basically the same mix for four years, I
believe, though have not done any turning in going on three. What brand of
LDD are you using??? Also, the LDD only penetrates a few cells deep and
should have been turned or sanded off in the process. Unless the tannin is
penetrating deeper, which hasn't happened in my experience, and dyeing lower
levels???

Condolences,

Leif

it was Smart & Final's house brand.. my wife decided that the 5 gallon size was
a good deal... had it mixed 1:3 in plastic containers...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing