Jon Elson

Default Brazing or welding thick copper?

wrote:
I'm beginning to think I got in way over my head on this one. The gate
was supposed to look something like this:

+--------------------------+
| |
| | |
| | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
+--+--+---+---+---+---+--+-+
|**************************|
|**************************|
|**************************|
|**************************|
+--------------------------+

with the bottom portion a copper panel attached with brass rivets. So
there would be three horizontal members and two verticals. The spikes
in the center are .5"x.5".

As far as sagging, I figured if the bottom panel was tightly attached,
it would add some rigidity to the gate.

I could use the copper for some other projects. I'm thinking now that
this project just isn't going to work with the tools I have.

Well, I wouldn't give up without at least a test. You say the sheets
will be riveted on. No brazing there at all? Then you'd definitely
want to put that on LAST. So, you are going to have the spikes
unsupported for most of their length? Some delinquents might be
able to bend them and make a total mess of the thing. I guess once
the copper work hardens in the weather, that might be real hard to do,
though. I think a person could do that in the annealed state.

So, these spikes are welded just into the middle crossmember? Or do
they pass through into the bottom horizontal? If the former, I think
maybe you could assemble the spikes to the crossmember, build the
square frame, and then you only have two difficult joints to do.
Those might be possible to do with sufficient heat sources and
insulating blankets. Anyway, you ought to try preheating and then
TIG welding a sample of the material. If it seems a breeze, you
might try to push ahead with it. If the simple test proves a
very difficult job, then you know that it is going to get worse as
the parts are assembled.

Keep us informed, some info on what turns up is always useful when
trying to advise on unusual projects like this.

Jon