Default Electric vs. Gas home heating

HerHusband wrote:

However, even if electric cost more than gas, I would personally still
opt for electric. It's mostly future proof, since electricity can be
produced by hydroelectric dams, wind generators, solar power, nuclear
plants, and even coal and natural gas generators.

Too much future-proofing isn't always economical.

Gas prices may continue to soar, and who knows what future
availability will be. Poor efficiency furnaces will need to
be updated with newer technology. Electric is always 100%
efficient, even with old heaters.

That is very misleading because 20-30% of the electric energy is lost
during power transmission, meaning if resistive heat is powered by a
gas-fired generator station, it may not be as efficient as an
80-90%-eficient gas furnace. Also resistive heat is more efficient
than a heatpump, yet the latter typically needs only 30-50% as much
electric energy for the same BTU output.

From a practical standpoint, I don't have to worry about gas leaks,
carbon monoxide poisoning, etc.

Safety is probably the best reason to use electric heat.

And since gas lines aren't available in my rural area, I
don't need a big gas tank in my yard.

Tanked gas is typically so expensive that it makes electric heat
cheaper.

We heat our home with individual electric wall heaters. This lets us heat
only the rooms we occupy, and set the bedrooms at lower temps than the
rest of the house.

If more houses were zoned like that, we could probably cut heating
bills in half. My home is completely zoned, including with temperature
and motion sensors in each room, and my highest air conditioning bill
last summer was $90. This is for 72 degrees average, 4400 sq. ft. and
central Arizona, with ordinary SEER 12 A/C units.