mac davis

Default Using coloured LDD

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:50:21 -0700, "Leif Thorvaldson" wrote:

Bravo for your experimenting. The color of the LDD solution does change as
a result of drawing out lignins from the wood, also the bark if you are
turning natural edged bowls may well dye the formerly yellow/amber/orange a
dark black or brown colour. I have not noticed any transfer of this to the
various types of wood that I have processed through there. Those who
complain about the "mess," are just not handling it properly. Alcohol was
added to the mix also, earlier on and it was determined not to have any
additional beneficient results. I have never tried straight alcohol baths.
Boiling??? And you talk about a mess and a fuss!!!*G*

Leif

hey Madge...
just to add to your data, I've been turning some very pretty buy very crack
prone local ash, and wish that I hadn't put any of it into the LDD....

It's a bright white wood with a weird, almost green dark grain running through
it... very nice contrast...

As I mentioned, the LDD has been turning black, all 6 of the rough-turned ash
bowls that went in the LDD are now "grayscale"... the white is gray and the dark
brown/green is black!
Finish turning and sanding makes them a lighter gray and a flat black...
original color and luster is gone... yuk!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing