Hugo Nebula

Default Loft conversion of a bungalow

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:42:28 +0000 (UTC), a particular chimpanzee
named (Niel A. Farrow) randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

New joists can be placed on existing wall plate or hung from wall plate
- I'm using the new composite I beam wooden joists - go to Travis Perkins
etc and they design and quote for you - all accepted by the Building
Control Officer - also lightweight and straight so can be handeled by one
person.

Bear in mind that these type of joists have their limitations; looking
at the literature
(
http://www.apa-europe.org/Languages/...sts/A725UK.pdf), the
minimum depth is over 240mm, which causes problems in loft conversions
where headroom is usually at a premium. AIUI they can't be chamfered
nor can they can't be simply supported by resting on a wallplate, they
have to be either hung from proprietary joist hangers, built-in or
noggined. Both of which situations are more likely to arise in loft
conversions where the joists have to be inserted between the existing
ceiling joists on top of the existing wallplate under the existing
roofing felt.
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is,"if no-one on the internet wants