IMM

Default Loft conversion of a bungalow

"Niel A. Farrow" wrote in message
Just starting a loft conversion my self - if you are a semi competent
diyer consider this.
Planning should not be a problem for a bungalow.
New joists can be placed on existing wall plate or hung from wall plate
- I'm using the new composite I beam wooden joists - go to Travis Perkins
etc and they design and quote for you - all accepted by the Building
Control Officer - also lightweight and straight so can be handeled by one
person.

To prevent impact sound travelling through, have the ceiling on the ground
floor on the existing joists and the floor above on the TJI "I" beams. Do
not have the "I" beams touch the existing joists or the ceiling below. Fill
the void with Rockwool bats tight up against the "I" beams.

Insulation will be a large part of the
cost - needs to be 0.3 for
refurbishment.

Best go way over building regs ininsulation. The levels are to increase in a
few years so bets get to those levels at least. You are saving 10K so extra
on insulation is nothing.

Mines going to cost
4-5k (proably 15k if done by a builder).
Neil

Read this report. It give the insulation levels for various countries, etc.
It virtually castigates the British way of doing things.

http://www.ukace.org/pubs/reportfo/BuildIgn.pdf