Art

Default Looking at Houses To Buy, What To Look For?

Water in the basement or crawlspace. Don't trust a real estate agent.
Don't tell them what you earn unless you are in a state that has special
laws which require the buyer's agent to work for the buyer even though he
might get paid from money from the seller. Pay for a home inspection and
use one not recommended by your agent who wants the sale to go thru. Put in
any offer "this contract is subject to approval by my attorney" and have an
attorney look at the contract. If you live in a state with termites, that
is something else to worry about. If your gut doesn't like a house, stay
away from it. Think about resale.

"phaeton" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello!

I realize that this question could almost be written off as "duh, use
common sense". However, I'm guessing that there are a number of
warning signs that defy common sense, or at least "novice home buyer"
sense that some seasoned folks would see right away. Maybe stuff
that's a little less obvious that the gaping pit of death in the
basement that is spewing the lost souls of the afterworld...

The reason I suspect this is because I've done a fair bit of automobile
repair and I know what to look for, I know what 'coverups' look like,
and I know how to manipulate used cars to make them rear their ugly
secrets. I expect houses to harbour tons of monsters as well.

The Missus and I are first-time home buyers, and we have our first
round of open houses and showings this weekend. I would appreciate any
tips of things to look for and how to gauge whether it's something
"minor and can be fixed when you get around to it" or "perhaps more
pressing/not DIY". I realize that *every* house is a fixer-upper to
some degree, and that's fine.

Any tips are greatly appreciated- about any aspect of buying a house
for the first time. When we do buy a house I'll invite you all to the
BBQ next spring ;-).

Thanks again!

-phaeton