phaeton

Default Looking at Houses To Buy, What To Look For?

This house was actually a similar thing, but perhaps a little better
yet. The sellers bought it, gutted it, replaced all the wiring and
plumbing up to code in 1984 (or 1996- they kept changing their story of
when they bought it). It had a stone foundation also, but it seemed
alright. It did need some work done on the exterior- it had brand new
windows in it, but the wooden windowframes weren't replaced (and were
rotten), allowing water to get behind the stone exterior and cause
cracking. Fixable, but probably not a first-time DIY project. Also
needed some planing of the yard to get water to stop running into the
basement, there was an addition on the house that was settling in one
end and needed to be jacked up and refooted. It had a whole host of
other minor issues but nothing I wasn't comfortable trying a stab at
myself.

Beautiful property in Rural Amish Country. Had a barn and a shed.
Seller accepted our offer for X amount of land (which had to be
approved by the local Red Tape) and a set price, but wasn't motivated
to do her part to add the land, kept saying "let's close first and add
the land later". Kept trying to create all sorts of handshake deals
outside of the contract, refused to amend the contract, ordered
services for the property and insisted we pay for them prior to
closing. Initially downright refused a home inspection, but later said
it would be OK but regardless we can't back out of the contract
(another handshake deal). I was firm on that and she finally relented.
The house had nothing to hide that I didn't already know. I would
have still bought it.

But for the most part, the seller basically broke all the rules and was
using nothing but Sucker Sam's Used Car Pushy Sales Tactics 101 to try
to force the deal. We had to involve an attorney to explain to her
that she blew it and she ought to return the Earnest $ right away.

Unfortunately, now that it's done and over with and everything is back
as it was, the seller keeps giving us "updates" such as "the land has
been added now! it just needs approval through....." "it was a
beautiful day on the farm today- all the trees changing colors, lots of
deer and geese and ducks" etc. She's trying to play the heartstrings
but I don't want to deal with her anymore, and she would own all the
land around it including an easement for a well onto that property.
It's very sad because it was such a beautiful place. Calendar
beautiful, no less.

If your thinking of flipping this house in a few years, look for a place
with an unfinished room or 2

I don't know what sort of timeframe, but I do plan on doing some
flipping. Maybe not as hardcore as some folks might but who knows.
Essentially I want to set us up so that we can buy a beautiful farmette
like the one described above but with more land and no hassle or
bull****. I have a slightly better grasp of the big pic vs. the missus
but I'm still keeping an eye out for resaleability in houses.