Duane Bozarth

Default Looking at Houses To Buy, What To Look For?

phaeton wrote:

Duane sez:

That's just a starting point...mostly keep your eyes open looking at
details and let swmbo worry about whether she "likes it"...

Yeah, unfortunately the old farmhouse with the 3 acres is what she
really wants. It was a nice place, but I stil think that walking away
from that one is best. Heartwrenching. ...

I can relate...while in VA we looked at an early 19th century farmhouse
on which was situated within eyeshot of Blue Ridge on remarkably level
land (for there) and all that one could desire except...it had been
completely done over by the existing occupants and was on the surface
just beautiful. Problem was, they had done all the cosmetic stuff,
probably spending $50k (in mid 70's $$) but hadn't done anything to
repair the failing handlaid stone foundation which was falling down, nor
the under girding beams which were rotting and propped up w/ a mishmash
of cinder block and sawed off tree limbs, the chimneys which leaned like
the tower of Pisa and were separating from the walls, ...

If one could have gotten it at the start for what they had, it could
have been a great place, but all their work, for the most part, would
have to be torn out and then redone to fix the fundamentals...

I still rue not having that particular location, however, nearly 40
years later...

There was another house even older that was a real mansion/plantation
house but the owner was farming the land and had split the house off
onto a tiny corner that stopped about 10 ft outside the rear of the
house and wouldn't consider selling even 10 A to go w/ a 3 story
(including the full 9-ft ceiling basement w/ the original kitchens,
etc.) house...I guess he eventually dumped it and it became a rental..