phaeton

Default Looking at Houses To Buy, What To Look For?

Agreed on the inspection. I'm all for that. Prices for inspection
vary but we've got an inspector lined up who is recommended to us from
many good sources. She's not the cheapest but she's one of the best.
You all might remember my fiasco a few months ago with the 100-year old
farmhouse (seller is a psychopath, but that's another story). We had
that house inspected and I have no qualms laying out another $350 to
have it done again.

The houses we're looking at are all over the map agewise, but mostly
fall in the 70-30 year old mark. It's just what happens to be
available here (midwest). $135K is our max budget, and there appear to
be some decent, if not 'slightly cosmetically challenged' homes, along
with a few that look like they have been completely refurbished top to
bottom.

Duane sez:

That's just a starting point...mostly keep your eyes open looking at
details and let swmbo worry about whether she "likes it"...

Yeah, unfortunately the old farmhouse with the 3 acres is what she
really wants. It was a nice place, but I stil think that walking away
from that one is best. Heartwrenching. These other houses are in
town, no acreage and it feels like she's 'settling' for them but
unfortunately I don't think that a farmette is within our means atm.
Maybe in 5 to 7 years.