Tim Wescott

Default Can I use a TIG welder to melt metal in small crucibles?

Ignoramus29878 wrote:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:04:01 -0700, Jim Stewart wrote:

Ignoramus29878 wrote:

The subject says it all. I wonder if I can use a tig torch to melt
metal in little (or not so little) crucibles. With at least 5kW at the
arc, I could melt pretty big stuff.

First of all, I don't have a clue...

Secondly, would it be possible or better to use
the stick setting and 2 carbons to melt the metal?

Possibly. The nice aspect of tig is flow of argon, protecting the
metal being melted. I am fully open minded here.

This would almost be worth it's own setup. I have the stick welder, now
how much would I need for an argon regulator and bottle plus some spare
tubing?

How much carbon contamination could one expect, I wonder?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services