Jim Stewart

Default Can I use a TIG welder to melt metal in small crucibles?

Ignoramus29878 wrote:
The subject says it all. I wonder if I can use a tig torch to melt
metal in little (or not so little) crucibles. With at least 5kW at the
arc, I could melt pretty big stuff.

First of all, I don't have a clue...

Secondly, would it be possible or better to use
the stick setting and 2 carbons to melt the metal?

Tim Wescott

Ignoramus29878 wrote:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:04:01 -0700, Jim Stewart wrote:

Ignoramus29878 wrote:

The subject says it all. I wonder if I can use a tig torch to melt
metal in little (or not so little) crucibles. With at least 5kW at the
arc, I could melt pretty big stuff.

First of all, I don't have a clue...

Secondly, would it be possible or better to use
the stick setting and 2 carbons to melt the metal?

Possibly. The nice aspect of tig is flow of argon, protecting the
metal being melted. I am fully open minded here.

This would almost be worth it's own setup. I have the stick welder, now
how much would I need for an argon regulator and bottle plus some spare
tubing?

How much carbon contamination could one expect, I wonder?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
woodworker88

This would almost be worth it's own setup. I have the stick welder, now
how much would I need for an argon regulator and bottle plus some spare
tubing?

I think you may be slightly confused. A stick welder has no facilities
for putting the argon in the same place as the electrode. The best you
could do would be to spray out the argon somewhere near the electrode.
Does anyone know if argon is a heavier than air gas? I'm guessing it
is, but it may not be much heavier, and thus difficult to completely
cover a crucible.