Duane Bozarth

Default Looking at Houses To Buy, What To Look For?

phaeton wrote:

The Missus and I are first-time home buyers, and we have our first
round of open houses and showings this weekend. I would appreciate any
tips of things to look for and how to gauge whether it's something
"minor and can be fixed when you get around to it" or "perhaps more
pressing/not DIY". I realize that *every* house is a fixer-upper to
some degree, and that's fine.

Any tips are greatly appreciated- about any aspect of buying a house
for the first time. When we do buy a house I'll invite you all to the
BBQ next spring ;-).

Depends some on what you're looking at---are you considering houses of
any age or restricting to old/new somewhere in between?

For a realtor walk-through, you'll be essentially evaluating whether you
want to consider this one or not for further detailed evaluation. I
would strongly recommend if you're not particularly familiar w/ such
details to hire an independent inpector before making an offer.

What you can see is obvious things like wavy roofs indicating possible
problems, signs of water running down sides of chimneys, soffets, etc.,
cracked foundations/walls indicative of drainage/foundation issues
perhaps, windows/doors sagging/binding. Having a marble or similar in
your pocket to drop on hard floors to indicate level is useful
particularly in older homes.

Obviously, signs of homeowner patched up wiring and/or plumbing are
warning signs as are extension cords, etc.

If at all possible look in attic crawl spaces for verificaion of
insulation, etc. Many won't want to do this on first showing so may need
to either blow it off or use first impression go/no go screening and
return if still on the cut list.

That's just a starting point...mostly keep your eyes open looking at
details and let swmbo worry about whether she "likes it"...