Harry K

Default New house - how to find your well?

wrote:
On 19 Oct 2005 19:10:07 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

Michael Strickland wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:19:46 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

Why not? All of our well casings are PVC around here . It is probably
4" tho unless it is a shallow well.

I'm not a well-drilling pro, but IMNSHO,
somebody "around here" is doing it wrong. The exposed part
of the well-casing should be made of something than can take a
stout blow without shattering. Steel by preference, but I'd
be willing to accept ABS with UV blockers.

Are you sure that the wells aren't terminating below-ground,
and that pipe isn't just a marker?

Dunno where your from, but wells in this area also have PVC casings - mine's
6" PVC. Neighbors also have PVC casings. I know that my well isn't terminated
below ground, and pretty sure that the neighbors' aren't either. Never heard
of terminating a well underground - unless you're capping one that isnt'
gonna be used anymore. Wouldn't think it'd be very wise to do so,
particularly if you have a submersible pump like myself and my neighbors.
Specs I'm familiar with recommend AT LEAST 4 inches of casing above ground.

Unless you live in a part of the country that doesn't freeze in winter, the
well should be within some sort of housing (many times looks like a doghouse
with no opening, could be a shed though) to protect the water pipes from
freezing - that should help to protect the casing against "a stout blow"
also. Just curious, who do you have beating on your well casing anyway?

Recommendations here also call for a concrete pad around the casing that
extends a minimum of 2 ft in all directions to help prevent surface water
from entering the well. That's in addition to the grout that's installed
around the casing when the casing is put in.

Dunno about bored wells, most wells in my area are drilled. All bored wells
I've seen look like a concrete pipe about 2 ft in diameter with a concrete
cap on it. I've never seen one with the cap off.

Later, Mike

I also think it is strange to use PVC above ground. Too easily broken.
Never seen one that wasn't iron pipe. As for 'dog house' protection,
BS. Wells all over the country including up here in the north consist
of a (iron) pipe sticking up about a foot and capped. All service
piping is underground below frost level.

I would like to see a well driller try to case a well using PVC. The
well casing is DRIVEN down.

Harry K

They dont drive the wells anymore. That is now obsolete.

snip

You talking about the same thing? Go to any well driller outfit and you
will find rotary rigs, the old 'hammer' types aren't used any more as
being too slow, if those are what you meant you are correct.

I have watched as a spectator as two wells were put in in the past 10
years. They are rotary drilled. When drilling is complete the regs
require that it be cased to solid rock, in mine that came to 66ft. My
neighbors, opposite side of the valley, was only 15 ft. After drilling
the casing is inserted and being a tight fit in the bore it is driven
down. You can't do that with PVC. I can see PVC being retrofitted to a
dug well but I wouldn't want it.

Harry K