robo hippy

Default $29.95 angle drill: tool review

There was a posting about angle drills in August, and Ted mentioned an
angle drill from JM Tools in Riverside, CA. Being totally skeptical (I
mean how could they make a drill that sells for 1/5 the cost) that it
could even come close to the Sioux/Milwaukee angle drills, I figured
that what the heck, for $30, I couldn't go wrong. Worst case scenario
would be that I would get a few days out of it, and it would be fried.
I burn out one or two sets of bearings on my S/M per year. It runs me
$70 or so to get them repaired. I also sand with 3 inch discs which
will put a lot of stress on a 'drill' that isn't intended for use as a
grinder. I am generally hard on my tools, prefering ones that will
stand a lot of use and abuse.

When the drill arrived the first thing that I niticed was that the
joint where the halves of the casing came together showed a slight(1/32
inch) gap. The vent holes on the case are curved rather that straight
as on the S/M drills. The chuck is slightly different. When I plugged
it in and fired it up, I found out that it is the slower speed model,
rather that the high speed model that I normally use. I have, and use
both. I now have about 40 hours on the cheap drill, and it shows no
signs of wearing down. Did I say that I am hard on my tools? With the
way this tool performs, I can see no reason to buy or repair the S/M
drills again. I will post when I finally burn this one up. If it lasts
through Christmas, as I would expect the S/M drills to do, it will be a
super bargain.

This is my opinion only, and I am in no way affiliated with the store
that sells them.

robo hippy