robo hippy

Default Using coloured LDD

I am still experimenting with LDD and alcohol baths. I have noticed
that both methods draw color out of the wood. My amber LDD is now dark.
The alcohol was a nice burgundy color after the first pieces of Madrone
went in. I have soaked black and English walnut, big leaf maple,
cherry, and Madrone. Results are pretty much the same except that the
LDD bowls are easier to sand. The alcohol is less messy and slimy, and
easier to drain off. I was wondering about glycerine as a bath. I
was/am considering adding the alcohol to the LDD. The jury is still out
for me. I am considering going back to just drying the blanks on a
shelf in the shop. No mess, no fuss, and the same success rates. I do
turn to finish thickness, and then sand out the warped blanks. I
haven't yet tried the boiling methods.
robo hippy