Don Bruder

Default Transparent Aluminum?

In article ,
"DeepDiver" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

You want scratch resistance and you want it now? Try the close cousin
to the armor, aluminum oxide. Used for bar scanner windows.

Also known as corundum.

I believe you probably meant "carborundum"...

This is the stuff sapphires and rubies are made of

It is.

(with different impurities creating the different colors). In fact, there

Also correct.

are watch makers that use corundum crystals for their watches (usually
marketed as "synthetic sapphire" crystals).

I would imagine those are only used on "high end" watches - Stuff on a
par with Rolex and similar. I can't see them being used on anything that
isn't already toting a hefty, if not grossly oversized, price-tag.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.