Art

Default Make a reticle? (was: Does anyone recognize this article?)

I second Surplus Shed. I've bought some nice optics from them at very
reasonable costs. They have alot of millitary surplus optics.

All my orders have been shipped prompty and have
been properly packed.

Simple cross hair reticles are often just two wires. The PM riflescope
article uses #44 (.002) magnet wire. (BTW I found a scanner at the
lab at uni, so I will scan and post the article Thursday).

I've used tech pan film to make custom reticles for cameras and
optical instruments. The thing is these arn't subject to the jolts a
rifle scope is. So I dont know how well this method would work in a
rifle. It also requires darkroom equipment and techniques. Might be
beyond the resources available to some. Heres a site that discusses
constructing some for some mp cameras:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/animato/finder/finder.html

I think if you ask this in one of the astronomy forums/groups, where
people build their optics all the time, you would probably get some
excellent suggestions as well.

Art

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:17:15 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

On the subject of rifle scopes, I have a cheap K-Mart scope that someone
gave me. It was used on a shotgun (not by me, honest), which shattered the
reticle. Two questions: a. how does it come apart? and b. is it possible to
make a replacement reticle with simple cross hairs easily? If anyone has
some thoughts, I'll dig it out and supply more details. Thanks.