James B. Millard

Default Does anyone recognize this article?

I've always wanted to make my own scope and have a couple of designs, but
this article:

seems like it might have some decent information. I asked the seller a
couple of questions (author, is it complete, etc) which he didn't answer so
I didn't really feel like bidding.

Anybody seen it? Is it worth it? Who published it?

Thanks!

Brad

Brad Millard On-line ballistics for small arms...
www.eskimo.com/~jbm

Errol Groff

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:52:30 -0600, "James B. Millard"
wrote:

I've always wanted to make my own scope and have a couple of designs, but
this article:

seems like it might have some decent information. I asked the seller a
couple of questions (author, is it complete, etc) which he didn't answer so
I didn't really feel like bidding.

Anybody seen it? Is it worth it? Who published it?

Thanks!

Brad

With a starting bid of $4.00 why not throw a bid and see what happens.
Even if they article is a disapointment how much are you going to
lose?

Life is short. Take a chance!

Errol Groff

Don Foreman

wrote:

I've always wanted to make my own scope and have a couple of designs, but
this article:

seems like it might have some decent information. I asked the seller a
couple of questions (author, is it complete, etc) which he didn't answer so
I didn't really feel like bidding.

Anybody seen it? Is it worth it? Who published it?

Thanks!

Brad

Looks like it might have run in Popular Mechanics many years ago.
Art

Its from either popular mechanics or popular science. I have the
magazine. I'll try and dig it up.

My scanner is broken, but I might be able to scan it elsewhere.

Art

wrote:

I've always wanted to make my own scope and have a couple of designs, but
this article:

seems like it might have some decent information. I asked the seller a
couple of questions (author, is it complete, etc) which he didn't answer so
I didn't really feel like bidding.

Anybody seen it? Is it worth it? Who published it?

Thanks!

Brad

Martin H. Eastburn

Very likely a white paper from one of the scope makers line - or a former member
doing documentation after retirement...

I want to say I have seen his face somewhere. Can' say.

As for worth it - at that price - yes. Just for the optical theory and concepts.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

James B. Millard wrote:
I've always wanted to make my own scope and have a couple of designs, but
this article:

seems like it might have some decent information. I asked the seller a
couple of questions (author, is it complete, etc) which he didn't answer so
I didn't really feel like bidding.

Anybody seen it? Is it worth it? Who published it?

Thanks!

Brad

Art

Ok, found it in the 1955 edition of the Popular Mechaics DIY
encyclopedia. The article is simply entitled "Riflescopes" and I
dont see an author mentioned.

Havent read it yet, but looks like an interesting article. I wouldn't
pay $4.00 as most of my PM and PS magazines were bought for an
average $.50 to $1.00 .

wrote:

I've always wanted to make my own scope and have a couple of designs, but
this article:

seems like it might have some decent information. I asked the seller a
couple of questions (author, is it complete, etc) which he didn't answer so
I didn't really feel like bidding.

Anybody seen it? Is it worth it? Who published it?

Thanks!

Brad

john

wrote:

I've always wanted to make my own scope and have a couple of designs, but
this article:

seems like it might have some decent information. I asked the seller a
couple of questions (author, is it complete, etc) which he didn't answer so
I didn't really feel like bidding.

Anybody seen it? Is it worth it? Who published it?

Thanks!

Brad

With a starting bid of $4.00 why not throw a bid and see what happens.
Even if they article is a disapointment how much are you going to
lose?

Life is short. Take a chance!

Errol Groff

Thats probably an old popular Science or popular mechanics article from
the fifties. Back then they didn't have cheap imported scopes.

I built a lot of stuff out of those magazines. I don't know how I
managed to to survive some of the stuff I build.

John
john

James B. Millard wrote:
I've always wanted to make my own scope and have a couple of designs, but
this article:

seems like it might have some decent information. I asked the seller a
couple of questions (author, is it complete, etc) which he didn't answer so
I didn't really feel like bidding.

Anybody seen it? Is it worth it? Who published it?

Thanks!

Brad

that hanging light bulb is very familiar.. I think it was a trademark
so to speak for Popular mechanics articles.

John
Mike Henry

wrote:

I've always wanted to make my own scope and have a couple of designs,
but
this article:

seems like it might have some decent information. I asked the seller a
couple of questions (author, is it complete, etc) which he didn't answer
so
I didn't really feel like bidding.

Anybody seen it? Is it worth it? Who published it?

Thanks!

Brad

With a starting bid of $4.00 why not throw a bid and see what happens.
Even if they article is a disapointment how much are you going to
lose?

Life is short. Take a chance!

Errol Groff

Thats probably an old popular Science or popular mechanics article from
the fifties. Back then they didn't have cheap imported scopes.

The guy pictured looks a lot like a guy that went by the name of Sam Brown
who was a regular contributor to Popular Mechanics (PM) and seemed to write
a lot of articles that featured the Atlas shaper and mill. PM published
collections of articles from the monthly mags in their Shop Notes series,
which came out annually from 1905 to around 1960. I have a full set but it
would take a while to wade through the various volumes to see if the article
is in one of them.

Mike

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 02:39:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Art
quickly quoth:

Its from either popular mechanics or popular science. I have the
magazine. I'll try and dig it up.

My scanner is broken, but I might be able to scan it elsewhere.

So, is it in the Dropbox yet, Art? g

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked.
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

James B. Millard

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 02:39:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Art
quickly quoth:

Its from either popular mechanics or popular science. I have the
magazine. I'll try and dig it up.

My scanner is broken, but I might be able to scan it elsewhere.

So, is it in the Dropbox yet, Art? g

I certainly don't want anybody to go to any trouble. Our local university
library has Popular Mechanics back to 1913. I'll take a look as soon as I
get a chance.

Thanks for the help!

Brad

Brad Millard On-line ballistics for small arms...
www.eskimo.com/~jbm

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 07:19:52 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"James B. Millard" quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 02:39:58 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Art
quickly quoth:

Its from either popular mechanics or popular science. I have the
magazine. I'll try and dig it up.

My scanner is broken, but I might be able to scan it elsewhere.

So, is it in the Dropbox yet, Art? g

I certainly don't want anybody to go to any trouble. Our local university
library has Popular Mechanics back to 1913. I'll take a look as soon as I
get a chance.

Wow, now THAT is what I call a LIBRARY! I'm jealous.

I'll apologize for offending someone...right
after they apologize for being easily offended.
http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
Bob Chilcoat

Default Make a reticle? (was: Does anyone recognize this article?)

On the subject of rifle scopes, I have a cheap K-Mart scope that someone
gave me. It was used on a shotgun (not by me, honest), which shattered the
reticle. Two questions: a. how does it come apart? and b. is it possible to
make a replacement reticle with simple cross hairs easily? If anyone has
some thoughts, I'll dig it out and supply more details. Thanks.

Adam Smith

http://www.surplusshed.com/ consistently have used reticles at good prices.
I haven't bought reticles, but I've bought other optical goods, they were
very painless pleasant transactions. Next day shipping, perfect packing,
prompt communications yada. I bought a reasonable condition coated 50 mm
objective (in cell) in the last purchase, and I think it was $7 or some such
figure.

I recall that "Procedures in Experimental Physics" (the John Stong book that
somebody mentioned earlier in the day: Lindsay) has a section on using
spider silk to make a reticle. I believe that most folks now stretch single
polypropylene fibers.

(ping James Lerch, Bob May, other of the lurking ATMs?) anybody done this?

Adam Smith,
Midland ON

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
On the subject of rifle scopes, I have a cheap K-Mart scope that someone
gave me. It was used on a shotgun (not by me, honest), which shattered
the reticle. Two questions: a. how does it come apart? and b. is it
possible to make a replacement reticle with simple cross hairs easily? If
anyone has some thoughts, I'll dig it out and supply more details.
Thanks.

Gunner

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:41:25 -0400, "Adam Smith"
wrote:

http://www.surplusshed.com/ consistently have used reticles at good prices.
I haven't bought reticles, but I've bought other optical goods, they were
very painless pleasant transactions. Next day shipping, perfect packing,
prompt communications yada. I bought a reasonable condition coated 50 mm
objective (in cell) in the last purchase, and I think it was $7 or some such
figure.

I recall that "Procedures in Experimental Physics" (the John Stong book that
somebody mentioned earlier in the day: Lindsay) has a section on using
spider silk to make a reticle. I believe that most folks now stretch single
polypropylene fibers.

(ping James Lerch, Bob May, other of the lurking ATMs?) anybody done this?

I once redid a reticle using spider silk. It was actually quite easy
to do, using black widow silk..of which we have a rather large surplus
of here in the desert..

I used a tiny drop of airplane model superglue to hold each end of
both strands across the reticle ring, but it was a stone bitch getting
them perfectly oriented at 12/3/6/9 oclock and had to redo it about 10
times..and never did get it perfect, but shot the scope for about 10
yrs on a 243

Not having any inert gas (at the time)..it did fog on me once under
sever conditions. Normally they are nitrogen filled..I wonder if
Argon would work?

Gunner

Adam Smith,
Midland ON

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
On the subject of rifle scopes, I have a cheap K-Mart scope that someone
gave me. It was used on a shotgun (not by me, honest), which shattered
the reticle. Two questions: a. how does it come apart? and b. is it
possible to make a replacement reticle with simple cross hairs easily? If
anyone has some thoughts, I'll dig it out and supply more details.
Thanks.

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Art

I second Surplus Shed. I've bought some nice optics from them at very
reasonable costs. They have alot of millitary surplus optics.

All my orders have been shipped prompty and have
been properly packed.

Simple cross hair reticles are often just two wires. The PM riflescope
article uses #44 (.002) magnet wire. (BTW I found a scanner at the
lab at uni, so I will scan and post the article Thursday).

I've used tech pan film to make custom reticles for cameras and
optical instruments. The thing is these arn't subject to the jolts a
rifle scope is. So I dont know how well this method would work in a
rifle. It also requires darkroom equipment and techniques. Might be
beyond the resources available to some. Heres a site that discusses
constructing some for some mp cameras:

http://www.saunalahti.fi/animato/finder/finder.html

I think if you ask this in one of the astronomy forums/groups, where
people build their optics all the time, you would probably get some
excellent suggestions as well.

Art

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:17:15 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

On the subject of rifle scopes, I have a cheap K-Mart scope that someone
gave me. It was used on a shotgun (not by me, honest), which shattered the
reticle. Two questions: a. how does it come apart? and b. is it possible to
make a replacement reticle with simple cross hairs easily? If anyone has
some thoughts, I'll dig it out and supply more details. Thanks.

Joseph Gwinn

wrote:

[...]

Yes. Nitrogen is used because it's cheap, but any inert gas will work,
if it's bone dry. Dry is the key.

Joe Gwinn

I've played around with cheap scopes a little. If your time is worth
nothing, go ahead. They all come apart a little differently, but some
are staked together and it can take more effort than it's worth. It's
usually some variation on remove eyepiece, remove turret adjustments
and, sometimes, the turret and remove the erector assembly/reticle
holder inside. They're all different.

As for reticles, spider silk has been mentioned, I've seen tungsten
wire used, you could supposedly get it in sizes smaller than silk. It
was mentioned in a project for making an optical micrometer for
measuring star spacing on telescopes. Amateur Scientist, I believe.
Probably the source for that is no longer active.

Weaver scopes had chemically milled reticles made from sheet brass,
some of the other makes did likewise. All you'd need there would be a
stencil and some photo resist, along with the etchant of choice. High
end scopes frequently have etched glass reticles, you can do fancier
patterns that way, too. Preferably anti-reflection coated afterwards.
All this wil cost you a lot more than picking up a used cheapy at a gun
show, though.

Stan

Bushy Pete

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Yes, argon will work really nicely as an inert atmosphere inside your scope.
Even welding grade is still low in water content and was probably filled
from the same tank as the high purity lab grade bottles at the same time.
Just didn't get the price tag!

The argon will also allow a little more UV light to pass through the scope,
but when you allow for the distance to the target and the light path all the
way from there, you won't ever know the difference.

It's easy to rig up a fitting to your scope with a plastic bag, a pair of
scissors to snip the other end of the bag and a couple of rubber bands while
you complete the assembly of the scope. You can even use your welding flow
regulator to give you a nice steady flow to purge the lot. If you are going
to do it inside, allow for fresh air to breath for yourself. Oxygen
deprivation will just send you to sleep......

If you don't have spider webs available that suit, and the Americans made a
pretty fancy bombsight that was security classified during WW2 with spider
silk threads, you can make "stretched sprue" like most model aircraft makers
with a candle and a bit of spare sprue and a gentle pull.

Many other reticles are engraved or ruled into a piece of glass.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Don Foreman

Not having any inert gas (at the time)..it did fog on me once under
sever conditions. Normally they are nitrogen filled..I wonder if
Argon would work?

Gunner

Yes. Welding argon has a dew point of about -90F.

Ya might put a bit of desiccant inside as well, to cope with any
minor leakage over time and/or residual solvent vapor from glue used
during assembly.

Email me if you'd like a packet or two. I bought a "minimum order"
for my kid's camera gear when he did a photo tour of the (damp) UK,
have a lifetime supply. It's in little 1 oz packets, could easily be
repackaged into a little capsule made of a cigarettte paper or ???

http://www.drierite.com/default.cfm

Martin H. Eastburn

Default Make a reticle?

Argon would be better than Nitrogen when filling scopes - it is a much larger atom
and is NOBLE - and is readily available in most TIG shops. Nitrogen can attack some
metals.

The idea of large atom - a larger flaw can still keep in the gas.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

wrote:

[...]

James B. Millard

James B. Millard wrote:

I've always wanted to make my own scope and have a couple of designs, but
this article:

seems like it might have some decent information. I asked the seller a
couple of questions (author, is it complete, etc) which he didn't answer
so I didn't really feel like bidding.

Anybody seen it? Is it worth it? Who published it?

Just to let everyone know, I believe it to be Popular Mechanics, January,
1949. I went to the university library and checked indexes and found an
article pretty quickly titled "How to Make Riflescopes".

Unfortunately, some jerk had cut the article out of the magazine, so I have
it coming by interlibrary loan.

Thanks again!

Brad

Brad Millard On-line ballistics for small arms...
www.eskimo.com/~jbm

David R. Birch

Art wrote:

Ok, found it in the 1955 edition of the Popular Mechaics DIY
encyclopedia. The article is simply entitled "Riflescopes" and I
dont see an author mentioned.

Havent read it yet, but looks like an interesting article. I wouldn't
pay $4.00 as most of my PM and PS magazines were bought for an
average $.50 to $1.00 .

Is the copyright still effective? If not, maybe you could scan it
and put the scans in the dropbox.

David
Art

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 13:04:22 GMT, "David R. Birch"
wrote:

Art wrote:

Ok, found it in the 1955 edition of the Popular Mechaics DIY
encyclopedia. The article is simply entitled "Riflescopes" and I
dont see an author mentioned.

Havent read it yet, but looks like an interesting article. I wouldn't
pay $4.00 as most of my PM and PS magazines were bought for an
average $.50 to $1.00 .

Is the copyright still effective? If not, maybe you could scan it

David,
I'm not sure. The article appeared between 1950 and 1963.
Assuming the first copyright was filed during that time, the
copyright holder had to renew his copyright in the late 70's to early
80's.

I think it falls under fair use, but not being totally sure, I didn't
want to post it to the drop box (it's also a pretty poor scan - I
couldn't get the book flat enough on the scanner).

In any case I posted it under one of my unused domains
Look for a article subject name " Riflescope article", posted
~thursaday 10/20 .